Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2011

SPORTS: Kvitova beats Sharapova to win Wimbledon

Kvitova beats Sharapova to win Wimbledon
Go to fullsize image
Go to fullsize image


       A remarkable performance of confidence and power to out-gun favorite Maria Sharapova and win the Wimbledon title for the first time with a convincing 6-3 6-4 victory on Saturday.

       Kvitova, who had never won a match on grass before reaching the semifinals last year, served consistently and maintained a barrage of powerful, attacking ground-strokes to become only the third left hander to win the women's title after Anne Jones and Martina Navratilova.

  "I'm so happy," the tearful champion said in an on-court interview before blowing a kiss to Novotna and Navratilova watching from the Royal Box.
       "I was nervous but I had to focus on every point." The Czech looked understandably nervous as she was broken in the opening game but hit back immediately to level at 1-1.

       Center Court waited with bated breath to see how she dealt with the pressure of leading the final.
       Sharapova, whose endorsements make her the highest-paid sportswoman in the world, said: "I'm very happy to be back here with the runner's up trophy but I wanted the "big one" and I will be back and I hope to get it again one day."
       Kvitova, showing remarkable control of her nerves, broke back immediately and finished the match off in style by holding serve to love and signing the whole thing off with her first ace of the final.

1 comment:

  1. I just take a peek and I suddenly discovered your interesting and wonderful post. I like and I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing.



    Latest Pacquiao news

    ReplyDelete